Thursday, February 3, 2011

Rouge Chocolate Stout


I made a trip to my favorite specialty beer store yesterday and picked up a few brews I had never tried before to begin the tasting and reviewing process. Just for the record, yes I know I should be tasting these out of there proper glasses but sadly I am broke and just affording the beer to taste is stretching my budget so there is no room left for glasses... hopefully someday.


Now on to the good stuff... My first beer selection was the Chocolate Stout by Rouge for this initial tasting I was joined by my friend Crystin so I have included her rankings as well.

Overall Ranking: Thank sir may I have another


                    Crystin    Me

Taste:              3          4

Smell:             4.5       4.5

Appearance:     5           5

Drinkability:     4          3.5

Mouthfeel:      3.5        4

Overall Ranking: 82% (B+) Thank you sir my I have another

This is a beautiful beer I was super excited to taste. It poured very nicely in the in the glass looking rich and thick coming out of the bottle. The appearance was super dark almost coffee like with a surprisingly light and foamy head for such a dark beer. The first thing I noticed was the rich malted aroma, the first sip was strong, full bodied, and delicious. A bittersweet chocolate taste sat atop my mouth mingling with hints of espresso. As I continued drinking the alcohol taste seemed to become more pronounced but it didn't distract from my enjoyment at all. My whole mouth was impacted by the flavor without being overpowered, the light carbonation was exactly perfect to balance the heavy flavor. It was sweet and rich, not overly bitter and left my mouth "wet and wanting more" in Crystin's words (minds out of the gutter please). I will almost certainly be picking up more of this stout to warm me up after a cold winter day on the ski slopes and I would recommend any better beer lover to do the same.

Enjoy better beer

CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment